There are so many abandoned shopping carts. Not in the parking of your local supermarket, but online. As an eCommerce merchant seeing an abandoned cart is a certain trigger to panic. All that work to drive traffic to your store, and boom. Right at the last moment the sale is lost. Argh.
The abandoned cart phenomenon.
Studies on the topic of cart abandonment show that nearly 80 percent of online shoppers will abandon their shopping cart, leaving them to sit in a perpetual state of limbo (Tech Speak – Until the cookies from that session are forgotten, of course).
The good news is, there is hope. Using dynamic data, Remarkety can help you tackle cart abandonment and turn your abandoned carts into sales.
You can not afford to sit back and ignore up to 80% of all your potential sales being abandoned. It’s time to put the abandoned cart email series to work.
The reasons why….
You may wonder why consumers would take the time to shop the website and place items in the cart only to abandon the purchase at the last minute. As you can see from the stats, this is not a small problem and there are a number of reasons abandonment is so high.
- Shoppers are forgetful. Remember, these are people we’re talking about. One minute they’re shopping for new shoes, the next minute they’re rushing over to the stove because the noodles are boiling over. Lives are full and busy and people jump from task to task leaving, and often forgetting, what task they have abandoned.
- Shoppers are price conscious. If they weren’t, why would they start camping out days before a sale and willingly miss a turkey and pumpkin pie dinner? Shoppers want to know they’re getting a deal, so they’re going to price check.
- Competition is high.Whether or not you like it, eCommerce is a competitive market. All it takes for a consumer to disappear is to Google your product and price to find alternatives.
Combat cart abandonment
The cart abandonment phenomenon needs to be tackled. These are 2 top tips that are proven to help combat cart abandonment and increase conversions.
Shoppers are more likely to purchase and spend more if you are using personalization.
Consumers are spending more online and eCommerce is thriving. The key to bringing consumers back to their abandoned cart lies with personalized product recommendations.
If the items in an abandoned cart don’t draw a shopper back, personalized product recommendations might do the trick. Personalized product recommendations in email can increase conversion by up to 175%.
There are plenty of product recommendation types to include in your Remarkety Abandoned Cart emails.
- Best Sellers – Can be best sellers from certain categories or total best sellers
- Also Purchased With – Items also purchased with products in the cart
- Bought Together With – Items usually bought together products in cart
- Characteristics Match – Items that match color or characteristics of product in cart
Each of the recommendation types are drawn from your data and the consumer’s online behavior data to derive the most personalized options.
2: Multi-Step Checkout
Another of the barriers to purchase often involves the checkout stage being too difficult to navigate. To ensure an abandoned cart email campaign is set up to succeed, a multi-step checkout page is ideal.
Here’s a great example on the Filippo Loreti website where a customer is prompted to enter their email address before checking out. Grab email details prior to the check-out stage or else you will not be able to reengage with the consumer if they disappear.
What if you haven’t got their email address? Then what can you do?
If they aren’t logged in and the email address hasn’t been captured, then you risk losing these carts forever. Don’t fret, in the next chapter we will divulge into the tricks of capturing email addresses.
Follow our blog and join us for the next part of our Abandoned Cart Email Story where we will be discussing ways to capture email address effectively and abandoned cart email best practices.