Great news folks! We have added a new feature which enables stores to make automated and personalized product recommendations by email.
It gets better. Because these product recommendations can be added into any email campaign.
You can now add a “other customers who have purchased this product have also purchased” section to any email that you send. These products are shown with images, descriptions and prices. The feature can be used to present cross-sell and up-sell opportunities according to customer purchase history data.
How effective is it?
Many of our clients add general promotions to their emails (for all types of campaigns). Although these promotions are generally effective, adding specific product recommendations based on actual data can be much more effective, as they are extremely relevant to the customer.
Product recommendations have been around for a while now and have already proven to be highly effective in raising conversion rates, bringing back customers, increasing the average order size and the number of items per order, etc.
4 types of product recommendations
- Customers who have purchased this have also purchased thatThis type of recommendation displays other products that have been purchased the most by customers who have also purchased product X. The recommendation will not display products that have been already purchased by the recipient.
- Other customers have purchased this together with that: This type of recommendation displays other products that have been purchased the most by other customers together with product x (i.e. in the same order).
- Top sellers from the same category: This type of recommendation displays top selling products from the same category as this product.
- Abandoned cart items recommendation: This type of recommendation analyzes the products that were abandoned by the recipient and displays top selling products for this category or products that have been purchased the most by other customers together with the products that were abandoned by the recipient.
When to use product recommendations
The most obvious use of these recommendations is after the purchase (order follow up). For example adding to a order follow up email a section that says “Did you know that other customers who bought X also bought: “
Example of usage inside an email
Dynamic tag in email editor
Where else to use product recommendations
Feedback request emails
These emails are used to receive feedback from customers about the product and/or the service (e.g. the shipment). In this email you can add a section which uses the following recommendation types:
- Customers who have purchased X have also purchased
- Other customers have purchased X together with (these can well be complementary products)
- Top sellers from the same category
Abandoned cart recovery
Cart abandonment can occur for many reasons, but the big one is pricing. In this case, adding “abandoned cart items recommendations” enables the discovery of other products that may be more suitable for the customer.
Rewards program emails can include coupons and discounts to loyal shoppers. Instead of just sending general discounts you can add a section that offers discounts to recommended products
Inactive customers’ emails are sent to customers who have not purchased during a certain period of time (e.g. after 90 days) in order to convince them to come back. Instead of just sending an email with a general incentive, you can use the product recommendation based on the last order. In this case the most appropriate recommendation type would be “Top sellers from the same category”, which is more subtle. However the other types of recommendations may apply as well.
Sources: Core Metrics