eCommerce consumers come and go, its just the nature of the business, or is it? With eCommerce tools such as Remarkety, you can now hold on to your consumers for longer with enticing automated and personalized emails.
The key to your success? Dynamic product recommendations. Want to learn how you can increase your customer lifetime value in just one simple step? Then read on…
To make the most of your automated and personalized emails you need to utilize product recommendations in your emails. Product recommendations are not just a tool for abandoned cart emails, they are also a strong indirect up-sell tool that can, and should, be included within your email marketing campaigns.
Remarkety product recommendations are dynamic, drawing on your actual real-time customer browse and purchase behavior. The data generates relevant products with images, descriptions and prices for inclusion into your automated email campaigns.
It is recommended to use different types of product recommendations for both cross-sales and up-sale opportunities. Your marketing strategy should include different recommendation types within each of your email campaign series, this helps you avoid duplicating messages and enhance your chances of capturing the attention of the email recipient.
How do product recommendations promote cross and up-sales?
When people purchase from a site they may not consider purchasing complementary products, or they may not, at the time, have the funds or time available to search for additional products.
Product recommendations are not a new idea. Amazon has been using this tactic to improve Customer LifeTime Value (CLTV) for many years. Product recommendations are highly effective in raising conversion rates, winning back customers and increasing average order size.
4 different types of product recommendations
There are four different ways to integrate the product recommendation tool into your emails.
- Customers that have purchased X also purchased Y – This will display other products that have been purchased by customers who have also purchased product X but it will eliminate products that have been already purchased by this buyer.
- Customers have purchased this together with that: This will display other products that have been purchased by customers together with product X within the same order.
- Top sellers from the same category: This will display top selling products from the same category as the product being viewed or recently purchased.
- Abandoned cart items recommendation: This recommendation analyzes the products that were abandoned by the customer and displays top selling products for this category or products that have been purchased by other customers together with the products that were abandoned.
4 email campaigns that require product recommendations
Do not limit your product recommendations to just your follow-up post sales email. The most effective campaigns to integrate product recommendations are:
1. Feedback request emails: It is common practice to follow up after sales with a feedback/review email. In this email you may add the following product recommendation types:
- Customers who have purchased X have also purchased
- Other customers have purchased X together with (these can well be complementary products)
- Top sellers from the same category
2. Abandoned cart recovery: Carts are not always abandoned due to pricing, so while it may seem worthwhile sending a coupon for the cart products, it may not always be applicable or viable. Offering the customer an alternative product may just win you a sale.
3. Rewards programs: Loyalty schemes reward an active shopper with coupons or discounts. We recommend that you offer these rewards towards recommended products based on consumer behavior. Using incentives will increase conversions.
4. Inactive customers: Inactive customers may haven’t returned because they have the product they required and have no need to return. Tempting an inactive shopper to return with a product related to the one previously purchased is a convincing tactic.
Ready to send powerful product recommendations that convert? schedule your 1-1 consultation with a Remarkety email marketing pro.